After a 200km road ride from Cuba, I arrived in Grants in the late afternoon. Grants itself I found confusing because I rode down the main drag trying to find the town centre and ended up riding a few km out of town before turning back. It seems the town centre is dying with many businesses closed down. After wasting time with needless riding around I did have an excellent Mexican dinner and found out a group of riders were just ahead of me. My natural inclination would be to chase after them but there were a few problems. One was a lack of sleep after a long ride into Cuba the day before. More important is the next couple of nights would be tenting and my air mattrice had sprung a leak. I spent one night sleeping on the hard cold ground and it was not what I would call "quality sleep". Taking a motel room with a bath tube meant I could find and fix the leak. Another reason is that the group ahead were riding into bad wet weather and my sister let me know of drive train destroying mud before Pie Town. Consequently the group ahead probably wouldn't reach Pie Town which was also my goal. I've noticed that the weather here tends to be sunny and hot before noon then stormy afterwards. With some good timing I may reach the mud after it has dried in the morning heat and sail on through.
No comments:
Post a Comment