Monday, July 07, 2014

Stuck in Tucson

Somehow I foolishly thought that getting home would be easy, but that's not the case. My bike is stuck at Ordinary Bikes waiting to be boxed for air travel. It'll be done by Wednesday so I'll be home Thursday at the latest.
It's a bit of a shocking return to reality. While racing, the bike shops along the route treated the riders like royalty. I'd simply hand my bike off, go have a quick restaurant meal and return within the hour to have a well tuned machine handed back to me along with words of encouragement. In Tucson, the usually effective words "I'm a TD rider needing work done" carries no weight and results in blank looks or even looks of disdain. It's like my super powers have vanished and instead of flying I'm just hopping around while flapping my arms uselessly.
In the meantime I'm wandering around Tucson pigging out and enjoying the sights. I booked a massage tomorrow so maybe my back will loosen up a bit. Really in the end being stuck in Tucson is no big deal. It's just another one of those TD lessons.

2 comments:

Lake said...

I suppose the Tour Divide is not as well known to the rest of the world. I'm sorry for your loss of Royalty though. Tough gig though to achieve such status. Riding for days on end in the back of nowhere either climbing or descending. A massage sounds like an excellent plan. Perhaps a pedicure too? I say this with all seriousness. Pedi's are totally awesome, especially after being in bike shoes for such a long time!

Patrick Day said...

The massage was great but didnt think ofa pedi. I'm a bit embarassed that my toes still look grungy though. That's even after a good scrub.