The Tour Divide is billed as a "self supported race" and to an extent it is. I carried all my gear and food as well as dealing with any trailside mechanical issues. I don't think, however, that I was unsupported. In fact without the support of family and friends I doubt I would have been able to race in the Tour Divide. I would like to thank all those that supported me during the race.
There were those other racers who I rode with and whose company I appreciated especially then there was suffering from all sorts of discomforts. In particular, there was Kent and Andy with whom I shared a number of great meals. Kiwi Ken had a habit of popping up and I was never sure when he would turn up. I sure enjoyed his company riding through the Great Basin where I encounter my first bad exposure to heat and lack of water. Talking about New Zealand, one of my favourite places, gave me a needed distraction.
My sister, Arlene, was a huge help with daily race updates and encouragement. Without being asked she became the offsite support coordinator. I know my nephew Kaelan spent hours at the computer cheering on my blue dot. Thanks Kaelan.
My parents, Brien and Susan, were ever supportive and arranged their own vacation around the TD start date so I could get to Banff without issues. Having them see me off at the startline felt like my first day attending grade one and was equally as terrifying. Never having raced before I was then in a pelaton of experienced mountain racers heading towards the official start behind the Banff Springs Hotel. I felt like a bit of a joke but in the end I surprised myself. I guess that inherited stuborn streak is another thing to be thankful for.
My coach Nick, put together a training schedule that seemed impossible but with his encouragement I stuck with it. By race date, I was fit enough to ride 110 plus miles a day up and over numerous mountain passes. Thanks Nick.
My other unofficial coach was my good friend Suzanne who was a huge help with the mental aspect of the race. Those last phone conversations while in Banff were invalueable, "Your goal is to finish but don't get hung up on outcomes". I remembered those words during the tough times. Not being stuck on a result gave me the freedom to keep the pedals turning. There was also being good natured when I regularly, after a 330km weekend of riding, passed out on the couch during the New Zealand planning sessions. She was also gracious leading into the race when I was having my "What did I get myself into" freak outs. Thanks Ajahn Suzanne. You'll be happy to know my house is full of eggs and I left the other stuff outside.
I couldn't ride a race to Mexico without a bike and North Park Bicycles put together one that survived the Tour Divide. Joe always entertained my crazy ideas and was ever patient during the many bike alterations. He and both Josh and Garett attempted to pass on their mechanical skills, giving me an intuitive idea what to do with a mechanical breakdown. Changing a tire, however, still takes me forever. Christine and before her Luke were ever vigilant in ensuring rare parts were delivered by suppliers be it a titanium frame or carbon forks.
Leanne, my climbing partner, was ever accepting of changing climbing schedules due to training needs. Despite having numerous other climbers willing to climb she never dropped me (figuratively and literally). There were also written words of "inspiration" and wisdom, "Don't die".
Another requirement to race is to have the time to do it and my employer generously granted me that. The work gang was ever tolerant of my endless bicycling babble. I know they were following along during the race and I appreciate their interest in my adventure. Thanks to Michelle and Kent for their messages of encouragement. Thanks to Brian for company during those long training rides. Get me riding again when I get back buddy. I don't want to get post TDR fat. It's hard to stop eating when in the race I could never eat enough.
Thanks to Grant, Sean, Justin, Lake and Uncle Len for their enthusiasm and to my buddies quietly following behind the scene. George? Dave? Micky?
Early on, friends but more like 2nd family, Mike and Sandra thought the whole idea was crazy and of course it was. Despite weeks of absence, they were always available when I could find a spare evening when they would stuff me full of great food. Now in their ever generous way they're hosting a party for my return. Talk about awesome!
I couldn't have done the race without the support from all of you. I've never been good knowing I'm indebted but that is where I'm at. Maybe the last lesson of the Tour Divide is to realize life is not a solo effort and to be gracious when others step in and offer help? I'm humbled by all your acts of kindness and generousity. I'm lucky to have so many great friends. Many thanks. I appreciate all of you and look forward to seeing you when I return.
Tuesday, July 08, 2014
The Tour Divide is not a solo effort
Labels:
Tour Divide
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The following people have had an interest in Pat's many achievements from his childhood to the present. They followed the pd blue dot throughout each day and were exuberant when it reached Antelope Wells. They asked that their congratulations be forwarded to him for successfully completing such a tough bicycle race. They are: Bernice & Percy of Salmon Arm, Sue & Greg of Cranbrook, Glenda of Penticton and Jacque & Al of Penticton. They are all very happy for him.
The following people have had an interest in Pat's many achievements from his childhood to the present. They followed the PD blue dot throughout each day and were exuberant when it reached Antelope Wells. They asked that their congratulations be forwarded to him for successfully completing such a tough bicycle race. They are: Bernice & Percy of Salmon Arm, Sue & Greg of Cranbrook, Glenda of Penticton and Jacque & Al of Penticton. They are all very happy for him.
Post a Comment