Thursday, June 12, 2014

Banff

In Banff and its a bit on the pricey side, but pretty with all the mountains. I forgot what they looked like up close; yikes they're big! !! I did grow up in the mountains so you think I'd know better.

I've been talking with the other Divide riders and it's been fun. Everyone has been open to discussing the race and sharing those pre - race jitters. I'm glad to find out I wasn't the only one questioning the sanity of this endeavor. I've decided to have as few expectations as possible and let myself just "experience" the race. That way without the pressure of predetermined outcomes, I'm hoping I'll enjoy the race. I, of course, want to do well and expect there to be some suffering but this is also my vacation.

I rode out on the trail we'll be starting on tomorrow to check out the bridge that hasn't been rebuilt. Initially I did get lost in the golf course which didn't fill me with confidence. I'm sure my navigation skills will improve with time. Why is there a golf course in a national park anyhow?

The crossing didn't look too bad and I was expecting worst. It'll be a bit of a bottle neck though and I'm thinking I'll hang back to avoid the crush. I came across several TD riders on the way out and back. I guess I wasn't the only one curious to see what we'll be starting on tomorrow.  The ride itself was beautiful. I really do enjoy being in the wilderness.

Tomorrow 7:45am the spectacle that is the TDR will be rolling out of Banff. All the months of training and preparation has lead to this moment.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Hey Pat,

Been following your little blue "PD" bubble on the map through race day one. It's kind of surreal that that little bubble is you out there peddling your guts out. :)

Good luck and come home in one piece!

M.

Patrick said...

Yeah that was me. I happy to be in Elkford. It was cold and wet out there.

Michael said...

Congrats on surviving Day One. S and I are rooting for you.

New Beginnings said...

Pat says from Whitefish Montana Today June 16th at 10:54 am " I appreciate all of your support. It helps! I can usually receive messages but not always able to send send them depending on the area."