The general philosophy with past hiking trips was to go heavy. This was mostly due to thoughtlessness more than fear of leaving something important behind. Getting caught up in gear geekiness was easy; there's so many interesting gadgets available. Plus an 80 liter pack facilitates the default of bringing an item and then deciding later if an item was really useful.
I've heard of people going ultralight, but to me they were a crazy fringe crowd. It didn't seem possible to have both ultralight and an enjoyable camping trip. I didn't want to lie shivering in the dirt with bugs and mice crawling over me. How repulsive!
The memory of hauling 50lbs into the woods, however, is not a pleasant one. With every step I was getting compressed. After three hours and a fairly short distance my spine felt like it had lost an inch.
No comments:
Post a Comment